Last Updated: May 2018
WHO ARE WE?
Bristol Zoological Society is a conservation and education charity, which runs and operates Bristol Zoo Gardens and the Wild Place Project.
Registered Address: Bristol Zoological Society Ltd, Clifton, Bristol BS8 3HA
Company registration: 5154176
Charity registration: 1104986
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
We collect information about you when you make a purchase at our sites or online, register for an event, experience or course, or register for our e-news mailing list. We also collect information when you enter our competitions or register for special offers. Website usage information is collected using cookies.
WHAT IS THE LEGAL BASIS FOR HAVING YOUR DATA?
The ‘legal basis’ is our reason under data protection law for having this information. You can find out more about these at https://ico.org.uk
When we are providing you with a product or service your personal data is held under the basis of contract. We will only ask for the information we need and will only use it for administration and provision of the product or service.
To develop what we offer to guests and as educational experiences, we use data for analysis, including customer comments and feedback. The basis for this is legitimate interest. Whenever possible, data is anonymised for these purposes.
In some areas we have a legal obligation to keep data such as on purchases and incident reports.
For other areas we will ask for consent – this means we would like to use the information for a specific stated purpose and are asking your permission. If you give your permission it is only for this purpose, and you may withdraw permission at any time.
HOW WILL WE USE THE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU?We collect information to process your purchase or booking, and to manage your membership. If you contact us with queries or feedback, we will use your information to respond.
Research is conducted on our behalf by Brand Vista & Mustard Market Research, who may contact you after an online ticket purchase or membership for feedback on your visit. Members will be contacted no more than twice in any year for this purpose.
If you agree, we will email you our newsletter with updates of our work at Bristol Zoo Gardens, Wild Place Project and about our overseas conservation. If you agree, we will email you with events and offers which may be of interest to you.
We would like to send you information about our ongoing work and future events and offers which may be of interest to you. If you have given permission for this, you may withdraw this at any time by contacting us.
We do not share your information with other organisations for marketing purposes. We sometimes use external companies to support our own marketing work, and will ask for your permission to share your details with them. Any data shared with an external processor is transferred using secure methods and only to complete work requested by us.
A photograph will be taken when you join as part of your membership registration. This will appear on our screens when your card is scanned on entry so we can ensure the correct person is visiting with your card.
Some events and experiences require us to obtain medical and emergency contact information. This helps us ensure that all participants are safe to take part. In the unlikely event of an incident they allow us to contact a suitable person and to pass essential information on to emergency services.
In most cases these forms are destroyed at the end of the event or experience. If there was an incident, the form would be kept with the incident report which is stored for 5 years as part of our Health and Safety records.
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR DATA?
- We have to keep all data relating to purchases and other financial transactions for 6 years for our tax records.
- Incident reports are kept for 5 years for our health and safety records
- Medical information forms are destroyed at the end of the day they are needed, unless there has been an incident, or it will be needed for a future event and you have asked us to keep it on file instead of giving a new one.
- Customer feedback and complaints are kept for 3 years from the year of contact
- Member data is kept for contact for the duration of membership, members are also added to our e-news mailing list as part of their subscription. As a transaction it is also kept by Finance for 6 years.
- E-news mailing list tracks if emails are opened, and if you do not read anything for 6 months we will remove you automatically from the mailing list. You may also unsubscribe at any time.
ACCESSING OR AMENDING YOUR INFORMATION
You have the right to request a copy of the information we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of the information we hold, please write to the address above or email email@example.com
We want to ensure that your information is correct and up to date, so you are also entitled to ask us to update or remove information which you think is inaccurate.
REMOVING OR RESTRICTING YOUR INFORMATION
You have the right to request that we remove your information from our records, or stop using it for particular purposes. We will do this wherever possible, with the following exceptions:
- If restriction would prevent us providing a service you have asked for (e.g. membership/booking) and you still wish to receive the service
- Where we have a legal obligation to retain the information
- There may be other situations where our business interests require us to keep your data, and we will advise if it is not possible to remove your data entirely in our response
WEBSITE & SOCIAL MEDIA
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information is used to track visitor use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
Facebook – we do not hold any data on individuals who interact with us through Facebook. We respond to contact made on Facebook via the Facebook interface, but encourage contact to be made by email to receive a full response. Marketing via Facebook is controlled by Facebook.
CHANGES TO THE POLICY
We review and update our policies regularly, and any update will be made available on our websites.
HOW TO CONTACT US
- By email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- By mail at Bristol Zoological Society Ltd, Clifton, Bristol BS8 3HA